|101||250 roubles||1856, Dutch certificate, black & white||?
|102||1 share||1911, green||?||–||£-|
|103||1 share||1925, replacement for lost certificate, green||?||–||£-|
Compagnie d’Assurances “Salamandra”
Salamander Insurance Company in St. Petersburg
Brandwaarborg-Maatschappij Salamander te St. Petersburg
Other city spellings: St.-Pétersbourg, Petrograd, Pétrograde
Formed in 1846 with head office in St. Petersburg. In 1856, a syndicate of Dutch bankers issued their own certificates in place of original shares in their possession. Capital in 1900 was 2,000,000 roubles in shares of 250 roubles. Capital in 1910 had increased to 2,500,000 roubles. By 1925, capital had grown to 5,000,000 roubles.
The Russian company, part of the St.Petersburg business empire of Baron Stieglitz, issued shares in Amsterdam. The shares in St.Petersburg were registered in the names of Netherlands trustees. The company was named for the salamander – an animal which, according to legend, could live through a fire; a logical name for a fire insurance company. (Source: Boone auction April 2020)