Alton, Alresford and Winchester Railway Company
Incorporated on 28th June 1861.
A standard gauge line running 17 miles to connect the towns, which opened in 1865. The London and South Western Railway (with which the line connected in Winchester) paid a rent for use of the line, and eventually acquired it in 1881, also having undertaken the work to complete the line.
Capital £150,000 in shares of £10 each, loans of £50,000.