Bolton and Leigh Railway Company
Incorporated on 31st March 1825
The first public railway in Lancashire, running 7 miles to link the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal with the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. It opened in August 1828 and was absorbed by the Grand Junction Railway in 1845, which merged with others to form the London and North Western Railway in 1846.
Original Capital £44,000 in shares, increased to £170,500 by 1841.