Bolton and Preston Railway Company
Incorporated on 15th July 1837
A standard gauge line, in direct competition with existing lines between Manchester and Preston. It opened in 1843 and merged with the North Union Railway (one main competitor) in 1844 following pricing wars. The line passed jointly to the Lancashire and Yorkshire and the London and North Western Railways in 1846.
Capital £380,000 in shares and £126,000 in loans.