Bristol and Exeter Railway Company
Incorporated on 19th May 1836
A broad gauge line connecting the cities, engineered by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. By 1848 the route ran a total of 85 miles, having had numerous extensions. It was initially leased and worked by the Great Western Railway, but became independent in 1849 until amalgamation with the Great Western in 1876, creating an important route between London and Cornwall.
Original capital in 1836 £1,500,000 in whole shares of £100, and third shares. £500,000 in loans. Increased in 1845 by £500,000 and £166,600 respectively. Total authorised capital by 1855 was up to £4,000,000 including borrowing.