Colne Valley and Halstead Railway Company
Incorporated on 30th June 1856
A 6 mile line which would connect to the Colchester and Stour Valley Railway. The initial line opened in 1860, but in 1859 the company were authorised to extend further, and raise additional capital for this, and the line was completed fully by 1863. The Great Eastern Railway were to work the line if requested, but the railway maintained its independence well into the 20th century.
Original Capital £40,000 in shares of £10 each, and loans £13,333.
Total capital £516,245; £86,790 in shares, and the remainder in debenture stock (mainly ‘B’).