Devon and Cornwall Railway Company
Incorporated on 29th June 1865
Initially incorporated as the Okehampton Railway on 17th July 1862, a 13 mile standard gauge line from the North Devon Railway to Okehampton. In 1863 the original company was authorised to extend to connect with the Launceston and South Devon Railway, and in 1865 it was renamed the Devon and Cornwall Railway prior to opening. The line was worked by the London and South Western, and became vested in that company.
Capital £130,000 in shares of £20 each, and loans of 43,200. New capital in 1863 £160,000 in shares and £53,333 in loans, and again in 1865 of £350,000 and £116,600 respectively.