Eastern Counties Railway Company
Incorporated on 4th July 1836
A line running from London to Norwich and Yarmouth. The line was built by John Braithwaite to a 5ft gauge, later changed to standard in 1844, and only ever reached a length of 51 miles from London to Colchester. By 1848 finances were poor and the company didn’t survive the financial crash. It was combined with numerous others to form the Great Eastern Railway in 1862.
Original capital £1,600,000 in 1836.
Total capital issued to 1853: £8,408,176 divided into £5,843,300 Capital stock, £960,000 each of the Extension stocks, £641,800 in 6% preference shares and the remainder split in varying proportions.