Manchester Ship Canal Company
Incorporated in 1885.
A 36 mile inland waterway connecting the Manchester to the Irish Sea. It was built in a broad gauge to allow sea-going ships direct access to Manchester. Previously navigation had been via the Mersey and Irwell Navigations, which only carried small ships, and this route quickly fell into disrepair. The ship canal opened in 1894 and is the world’s eighth longest, with grade II listed Barton Swing Aqueduct (the first of its kind) along its route. Manchester became the country’s third largest port as a result of the ship canal, but trade was limited and eventually the docks were closed when oil traffic moved to the East. The canal itself remained in use, and is currently the subject of a £50 billion development plan.
Capital £8,000,000 in shares. Original capital £400,000 in £10 shares, preference and ordinary.