North Midland Railway Company
Incorporated on 4th July 1836.
A 72 mile line between Derby and Leeds, opened in 1840 (also known as the Leeds and Derby Railway). It joined with the Birmingham and Derby Junction, and the Midland Counties Railways to form the Midland Railway in 1844.
Capital £1,500,000 in shares and £500,000 in loans. Increased to £3,000,000 in total.