|106||£25 shares||18, black||?||VF||£?|
Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Company
Incorporated on 26th May 1826
A mineral line built primarily to transport coal from the Monkland coalfields to Glasgow, used as an alternative to the Monkland canal which held a monopoly at the time. In 1844 the company built an extension to bypass the use of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch line, and was renamed the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway. The Caledonian Railway took ownership in 1846 allowing them access to Glasgow.
Original Capital £28,500 in £50 shares and £10,000 in loans. Increased by the 1840’s to £139,000 in shares of £25 each.