Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Docks and Railway Company
Incorporated in 1865 as the Alexandra (Newport) Dock Company.
Re-named under Act of 18th August 1882 and authorised to build 39 miles of railways and docks; North Dock (opened in April 1875); a railway to Pontypridd (which lead to the formation of the Pontypridd, Caerphilly and Newport Railway Company), and Alexandra South Dock (completed in 1894). The company took over the Pontypridd, Caerphilly and Newport line in 1897, and was absorbed by the Great Western Railway in 1922.
Original capital £600,000 in £20 shares.
Total Capital £1,855,000. Shares and stock of £1,410,000 (of which £1,260,000 issued), divided into; £200,000 in Ordinary Shares of £20 each; £300,000 in New Shares of £20 each; £80,000 in New Ordinary Stock; £515,000 in First Preference consolidated ‘A’ Stock; and £165,000 in Newport Dock Stock. Loans of £445,000.